Online publishers, website and blog owners that incorporate ads on their websites keep looking for strategies to increase revenues from advertising on their site. The basic steps for doing so are to make sure you have
high quality content and that your site is easy to find, which in turn will send more traffic your way. However, there are several more steps you could and should take in order to increase the revenues from advertising with ad networks and optimize your site for better performance of display ads.
- Ad placement: where do you place ads on your site? Things you should look at:
- Above and below the fold spots – above the fold ads usually perform better, as they don’t require the user to scroll down the page in order to see the ad.
- Home page vs. internal pages spots – if the layout of your home page is different than that of your internal pages, you need to examine the placement of the ads separately for these two layouts. Typically internal pages tend to be more content-heavy, which may allow for more bottom half of the page ad spots, as users are likely to scroll down in order to read the content all the way to the end.
- Traffic anchors – find traffic anchors on your site such as a video player or a lively forum section and place ads on or next to this anchor. Use the reports from your ad network to see which content gets more views and where users tend to click more and place your ads in proximity to these areas.
- Ad sizes: try different sizes and ad combinations, depending on the layout of your website, to determine whether there are specific ad sizes that work better for you. It is best of course to experiment with IAB standard sizes for banners and rich media formats because this way you make it easier for advertisers and ad networks to work with your site, however if you find a non-standard ad format that generates good revenues, go for it! As a rule of thumb though, above the fold ads in sizes 728*90 and 300*250 tend to yield better results.
- Number of ads per page: more ads on page don’t equal more revenues. Beyond maintaining a positive user experience of your site, you also need to consider the fact that a lower ads to content ratio makes the ads more visible, whereas loading up ads on the page may simply make them overlook the ads altogether.
- How many ads per page: an optimal measure is to have up to 3 banner spots per page. If you choose to have popup ads on your site, an appropriate measure would be 1 pop-up ad per user per day.
- Vary the ad types: use fixed banners, dynamic banners (such as sliders) and other rich media ad formats – test different ad type combinations and see which one performs better.
- Allow varied pricing models: online publishers usually prefer to work on a CPM basis. You may want to test the performance of certain campaigns on a CPC or CPA model for campaigns that directly target your site’s audience – in cases of a tight fit between the advertiser’s target audience and your site visitors’ profile, CPA may prove to be a more profitable option than CPM.
- Work with the right ad network: many sites are more familiar with Google Adsense and opt to work with this network, however Google Adsense is based on contextual advertising. If your site is not text-heavy, contextual advertising would be irrelevant and not maximize your revenue options. A display ad network is a good Adsense alternative if your site focuses on video, games, social and other non-text-heavy content, or if you do not want to rely solely on contextual ads and wish to incorporate more advanced display ad formats.
There are several revenue increasing tactics that are directly related to the ad network you work with.
- Fulfillment – you want to work with a network that can provide you 100% fulfillment of advertising spots.
- Targeting and optimization – an ad network that knows your site and content should target the right (relevant!) advertisers to your site. The more relevant the ads are to your visitors, the better they will perform.
- Ad network reports: clear and insightful reports are essential to improve the monetization of your site. Good performance and analytics reports will provide you with insights about the type of advertisers and campaigns that work best with your site, the ad sizes you should include or exclude from your pages based on performance, the differences in ad performance and revenues from your sites in different countries and languages, etc.
The strategies for making more money from advertising on your site are essentially a process of optimizing your website for revenues. Since we at TLVMedia know our optimization inside out, we highly recommend you manage this process as any optimization process – test the various strategies, measure results and analyze the data to increase future revenues.